companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sweet Onion Broccoli Salad


Perhaps I should call this new recipe "Accidental Salad" because I really didn't plan it out at all. My son, Christian, is writing a term paper on the development of the Chinese culture. I had just finished reading a section on Chinese inventions, and how so many of their discoveries were based in failed alchemy experiments. So, as usual, in my efforts to feed the crew and save money too, I found I was undertaking a bit of kitchen alchemy. I also did not make gold, but I did come up with a tasty variation on the broccoli salad I've been making for years.

For lunch today, John had the Pooh Bear Salad. You know the one--the chicken cubes coated in a thick honey mustard-like dressing. Well, I had too little of the dressing left over for my lunch, so I started to add a bit to it. Unfortunately, a giant ball of onion powder came tumbling out of my spice jar. That is where the accident part came in. Instead of fishing it out, I decided just to go for it. Wow. I liked it. The taste is very similar to the vidalia onion dressing I used to buy. A splash of vinegar and a bit more sweetener and it was there!

So, instead of coating my chicken and topping greens, I mixed it with some lightly steamed broccoli and a quarter of a sweet onion. I think next time, I'll add some shredded jack cheese too, so I will include that in the recipe. I hope John likes it when he gets home. The onion lover in me likes it!

Sweet Onion Broccoli Salad

4-6 cups broccoli spears
1/4 sweet onion
1/3 cup shredded cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/8 cup Splenda or equivalent
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon onion powder

Lightly steam broccoli. Dice onion. Combine mayo, mustard, sweetener, vinegar and onion powder, and mix well. Pour over the broccoli and onion and stir. Toss with cheese. Chill before serving.


What a delicious accident! It goes great with a tall glass of tea, which just happens to also be an accidental invention from the Chinese!

Now I am off to make a Multiply Meal. Sloppy Tom Casseroles for dinner tonight and more for the freezer for another night.

1 comment:

Tami said...

As I was reading this recipe I couldn't help but imagine lots of chopped bacon in it. Might have to try it. :)