companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Green Chile Cauliflower


Memorial Day is a time of family remembrance for us. Today we visited our hometown cemetery to decorate family graves. It is a tradition on my side of the family. After lunch out together, we simply snacked for dinner. I had leftover Curry Chicken from earlier in the week. John had a leftover steak, and Andrew grilled some burgers on the Foreman grill, saving one to take to work tomorrow. (That's retail--no holiday for him or my radio husband) Being a holiday weekend, I am postponing my normal Sunday Prep day. I'll do that later this week since my teaching duties are done for now.

Today, I did make a low carb casserole for our family gathering tomorrow. We plan on visiting my mom's home and sharing in a buffet style meal. We are contributing some brats to grill, and I thought this mildly spicy dish would make a good side for low carbers and carbies alike. It is inspired by a green chile casserole my sweet Aunt Gladis used to make. Hers had rice, ours uses cauliflower. We put some pink flowers on her headstone today. I have so many fond memories of this lady. She was a wonderful cook. Never blessed with children, she spoiled my sister and me all the more. This is as spicy as I remember any of her dishes being, and I loved it. Her recipe is still written in her handwriting in my recipe box. I had to substitute a few things, but I think she would like it still.


Green Chile Cauliflower

1 pound of cauliflower
4 slices of white American cheese
4 ounces of cream cheese
4 ounce can green chiles
1/4 cup water
salt to taste
1 Tablespoon chia seeds, optional

Lightly steam the cauliflower. Combine cream cheese, cheese slices, chiles and water in a saucepan. Stir often while melting the cheeses. Add chia seeds if using. When cauliflower is tender crisp, drain well. Gently combine the sauce with the cauliflower and transfer to a baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.

No comments: