companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pecan Crusted Breast of Chicken


You gotta know that my husband John never met a chicken he didn't like. Tonight's dinner was no exception. Our local grocery had a ten pound meat sale. Chicken breasts were inexpensive, and we got them. Since they were frozen, we had to thaw the bunch all at once in order to use any. So, I planned some chicken recipes that I have never tried before. I have more time to play when school is out.

Rachael Ray had a recipe that sounded interesting to me, especially since I have several nut meals on hand after my order to Nutty Guys. Pecan crusted chicken baked with a coating of honey mustard beneath the nuts... sounds good. Once it was tweaked to low carb, I set out to make my own version. None of the recipe searches turned up any versions of this dish that were too pretty, so I don't feel bad that mine was a bit on the homely side. I thought the flavor was just so-so, BUT the guys in the house really liked it. All except the avowed nut hater, that is. His had the dressing coated with a dusting of soy flour instead. He liked it too. So maybe you'll love it. Maybe not. Some recipe attempts are better than others, and everyone has different tastes. Here is the recipe, which I served with a side of fresh green beans.

Pecan Crusted Breast of Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons dijon or grainy mustard
3 teaspoons Splenda or equivalent sweetener
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 to 1/2 cup pecan meal

Coat the chicken pieces with the honey mustard mixture. Sprinkle lightly with seasonings. I used a spoon rather than dipping. Dredge in pecan crumbs. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.

1 comment:

Contessa Kris said...

This sounds delicious. Must try!