companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Not Quite the Waldorf Tuna Salad


Yesterday I had some big projects going on. I did get John's lunch packed early, but never managed to get to my blog. This is what he munched on for lunch. It is much like a Waldorf salad, but with no apples. Even though a bit of chopped apple wouldn't hurt too much carb-wise. The main difference from the typical tuna salad is the sweetener added to the mayo. To make the dressing, I like to add vanilla flavored stevia or liquid sucralose to the mayonnaise. Sometimes I even add a sprinkle of apple drink mix flavoring, but I like that more than the hubby does. Usually, I skip measuring things out, and just go by taste. This is especially good to do when you are blending sweeteners. Basically, it looks like this:

Not Quite the Waldorf Tuna Salad

2 cans tuna, drained
4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
sweetener to taste
pinch of apple drink mix, dry, optional
3 ribs of celery
nuts of choice

Mix the mayo, vinegar, onion powder, flavoring if using, and sweetener. Allow the dressing to sit while you chop the celery and drain the tuna. If you like, you may choose to cop the nuts at this time as well. Mix the dressing with the tuna, and check the taste for sweetness. Add more if needed. Mix in the nuts just before serving.


This salad is good with fresh strawberries added in also. The vanilla stevia I use is made by Sweetleaf. It is also good in flavored drinks and desserts.

1 comment:

yodasmith said...

I've used SweetLeaf vanilla creme in baking, I've used it in a smoothie, and I think some hot chocolate! Soon I plan to use it in french toast!