companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, February 22, 2010

Shrimp and Pico de Gallo


This is another one of those low carb, low calorie lunch ideas. Low calorie, but very highly flavored! Because the shrimp is precooked and cleaned, it is very quick. The home made pico de gallo tastes so fresh, and goes together so fast if you use a food processor. I used the Ninja my mom loaned me last week. Oh my, is that faster than chopping by hand! I modified this recipe from Cooking Light. I think it is very light and refreshing--even if it is cold outside!

To prepare the shrimp, I first thawed it in the microwave for a minute. Then I dredged it in this seasoning mix. I let the flavors soak in while I put the vegetables together.

Shrimp Seasoning Mix

3 teaspoons paprika
1 packet Truvia
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon jalapeno salt
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder


After the shrimp is coated, grill the shrimp until cooked or heated through.

Pico de Gallo

2 tomatoes
1/2 small onion
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
1 T lemon or lime juice

First, blend the cilantro until coarsely chopped. Next add in the onion and pulse. Lastly, add the tomato, pulsing until just chopped. You want chunks left. Add the lemon or lime juice.


Because I like this and John doesn't, I am going to have more Pico left over. I will probably blend it with more tomatoes to make a salsa. Then, I will use that for a salad dressing with a lettuce based salad.

We had a great weekend with our college boys. Both teams won their basketball games and the talent show was very creative and funny. Made me miss my own college days. It is fun to get to meet friends of my sons and other parents too. Lucky for us, their favorite Mexican restaurant serves a great grilled chicken or steak salad, so we didn't break too many rules while eating out. In fact, that is why I made this dish today. I needed more pico de gallo after that dinner, and my shrimp was cheaper than theirs!

2 comments:

NeeCee said...

Hmmm, wonder if this would be good with chicken instead?

Joan said...

This is delicious, and so easy too. Thank you!