companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cozy Cranberry Hot Drink


The chill is in the air, and there is no better place to be than by the fire with a soft afghan and a cup of this Cozy Cranberry Hot Drink. This goes together almost instantly and is very flavorful. If you miss apple cider, give this a try.

Back in my college days, my sweet mama would send me care packages. I remember always requesting her Russian Tea mix. It was a dry mix, made mostly with Tang and sweetened tea mix. Gee, could I have gotten any more sugar? I loved it because I had a little hot pot that I could use in my room. No microwaves in dorm rooms then. The tea was a nice change from sodas. This tastes very similar, but has no sugar at all.

It will require a trip to Aldi, and perhaps an order from Netrition. Both good investments if you plan a long winter. The main ingredient is the Fit n Active Cranberry Drink from Aldi. I like that as a replacement for juice in the mornings too. No aspartame, which is good. The next main ingredient, I buy from Netrition. Pineapple DaVinci syrup. I use that often...when I manage to keep a bottle...it is one of my favorites.

Cozy Cranberry Hot Drink

1/2 cup Fit n Active Cranberry drink
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup Pineapple DaVinci syrup
a short squirt of lemon juice-about 1/4 teaspoon
a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice

Mix everything together and heat in a cup in the microwave or on stovetop. Serves one in a mug.


Small tea cups may overflow, but my standard coffee style cup works great. I like to serve it in a clear mug so I can see the gorgeous color.

Hubby still has dinner waiting in the oven. He was not able to eat the burgers I sent for lunch until after 4 p.m. Glad that dinner was a freezer casserole, Sloppy Tom. That one will hold up well in a slightly warm oven until he is ready to eat. Now I am going to snuggle with a blanket fresh from the dryer and watch a movie with the boy. Hot drink, warm blanket, snuggly dogs. Who could want more on a chilly Fall evening? Well, it might be better if the dishes were done and the laundry put away, but I am still planning to bask in the glory of my hot drink. Better go before I drink it all here at the computer!

1 comment:

Retta said...

I am continually amazed at all the creative low carb recipes you come up with! Another use for my new bottle of Pineapple daVinci. :-) I already made the PIneapple Glaze, and had it on pork chops...Mmmm. Oh, and I didn't have any beef broth, but had just made some homemade chicken broth, so used that instead. It was great!
Thanks again,
Loretta
=^..^=