companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Southwest Shredded Beef


For the first time in quite a while, I had all four of my men home for one meal. That calls for something special. One of their favorites is Southwest Shredded Beef. It is easy on the cook. I even started it before I went to bed last night so it would be ready for Sunday lunch. It is forgiving enough to slow cook for an extended time. (Mine cooked for almost eleven hours, but then, the beef was still slightly frozen when I started.)

Better yet, everyone can assemble soft tacos using this beef, and they can make them exactly how they like them. Dad and I ate ours on half of a Joseph's pita. To limit carbs, then we just put some of the beef over a bit of lettuce and added our favorite toppings.To each his own. Three of us like extra salsa. Two don't. No problem. Only two of us like sour cream and lettuce. Okay. The boys appreciate some refried beans too, but not the parents. See how easy it is? I just put all the extras out on the table. Everyone is happy. The beef is as good as any I have found in pricey Mexican restaurants.

My guys love this meal, and being a Triple Play recipe, it is easy to adapt to extra guests. I wasn't sure if my oldest college boy would bring along some friends today, so I planned ahead to feed a bunch. Since he left the others behind, still recovering from Spring Break in Florida, I will have plenty of left overs to make Layered Beef Salad and Striped Enchiladas later in the week. It is so good to be flexible and to have a 24/7 kitchen where everyone's welcome...even if they don't show up.

This recipe is in the e-book, but I'll share it here for any of you who might be considering a purchase. Of course, if you want the follow up recipes to turn the beef into two more entrees, you'll have to buy the cookbook!This photo is the beef as it looks alone in my crockpot.

Southwest Shredded Beef
4 to 5 pound small brisket or roast, any cut
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 16 ounce jar Pace Lime and Garlic Thick and Chunky Salsa (may substitute)

Place meat in a crock pot. Mix all dry ingredients. Sprinkle over meat in pot. Top with a jar of thick salsa. Cook 8 hours on low. Cool meat for about 30 minutes. Drain off most of the liquid and discard fat. Shred the meat with two forks, adding broth back in if necessary for moisture. Serve as burritos using low carb tortillas.

Per serving 325 calories 1 carb


Now that my boys are headed back to the university, I will spend the rest of the afternoon doing my prep for the week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was really great. It's like the beef from chipotle. I used it for a burrito bowl like they serve. Would definitely make again. Thanks for all your low carb recipes, this is a place I come to ALL the time when I want a tasty low carb food