companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Green Chile Salad Dressing


Tonight is our last peaceful dinner together before my older boys go back to college at JBU. I chose Andrew's favorite dish. Southwest Shredded Beef. I can't believe they ate it all! I usually have enough leftovers to make it a Triple Play Meal. I guess they overindulged knowing it is back to college food soon. One son is back in the dorms; the other in his first apartment. They will be missing mama's cooking for sure! So, I will make some adjustments to the menu for the rest of the week. I almost always write it in pencil just in case.

Tonight, I made an interesting salad dressing to top our Southwest Shredded Beef soft tacos and salads. John and I limit ourselves to one low carb tortilla, and eat the rest of our portion as a salad. The boys like both soft and crispy tacos. That can of green chiles I blogged about the other day is so big, that I am still freezing it in batches. I yet have some not frozen, so I made a batch of Green Chile Mayo and Green Chile Salad Dressing. Gotta say I like them both. They are mild, but flavorful.

Green Chile Mayo

1 cup mayonnaise
2/3 canned cup green chiles (for a milder flavor, one 4 ounce can would do)
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Chill for at least one our to let flavors blend.


This would be very good in a chicken salad or on Deli roll-ups. This mayo would make a good burger or chicken breast also, for a simple E.Z. Fix meal.

Green Chile Salad Dressing

1/2 cup Green Chile Mayo
1 Knorr Cilantro Cube
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients in a blender and chill before serving
.

This was really good drizzled over our salads and soft tacos. It wasn't too hot for the hubby. I think I would like it even better with a dash of chipotle pepper powder, but it is good just as it is for most people. The dressing would be nice as a sauce for steamed vegetables or for dipping raw veggies.

Now, since all my guys are home, (a rarity around here) I am leaving the computer for some quality time. I am so gonna miss my big boys.

No comments: