companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Italian Chicken Skillet and Stuffed Peppers


For my Triple Play meal this week, I made some Italian Chicken. If you don't have the e-book, that is just baked chicken with Italian dressing. Today's lunch was the chicken made into a simple skillet filled with all those wonderful fresh veggies of summer. It is easy to change out veggies for whatever is available any time of year. Today I used zucchini, eggplant, red onion, grape tomatoes, bell pepper and spinach. It is also yummy with green beans, cauliflower or just about any low carb vegetable.

Since the meat is precooked, this mainly only takes the dicing time to cook. This idea would work with regular frozen chicken cubes as well, just add Italian dressing to everything in the skillet. I start with the veggies that need the longest time on the fire, and add them to a hot skillet with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. By the time the last zucchini slice goes in, I add my chicken with a little of the Italian dressing it has been marinating in. I added a bit more garlic and a touch more Italian herbs as well. Today, once everything was hot, I threw in some spinach leaves just long enough to let them wilt. I am no fan of overcooked spinach.

This is really easy to throw together and is full of so many of the good things God has provided for us to eat. John has access to a microwave to heat it at work, but I just ate mine at room temperature and it was still quite good. What grown up wouldn't rather see this skillet dish in a lunch bag rather than a soggy sandwich and chips?

Last Sunday night, I used the chicken to fill baked bell peppers. I pre-baked the peppers in the microwave, added the hot chicken, and topped them with cheese. Back into the microwave, and we had a nice light supper. This is just as simple to do for lunch as well. Bella!

No comments: