companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Try, Try Again Flax n Bran Crackers


I have tried for quite some time to like flax. It just doesn't do it for me. I use it; I just have to get the perfect recipe to hide the flaxy taste. I'm fine with the texture, and too cheap to buy the golden flaxmeal, which is pricier. Anyway, I have tried for a year an a half to find a flax cracker that I would eat. Lots of famous low carbers are enamored with this crispy treat, but not me. Cleochatra loves them, David on the Stella Style board has a recipe that everyone likes. I just went euww. Every recipe I tried. But it is hard to get me to give up. Tonight's casserole, Chicken Blanco, is already made, so I had some time to play around with the recipe.

The ease of a microwave cracker allured me. Just pondering the idea of a crunchy treat that is in no way related to pork rinds, not using up my precious almond meal...the idea would not go away. Today, while perusing the Bernstein forums, I came across yet another thread for flax crackers. I decided to give it a go. A few weeks ago, I had purchased some popcorn seasoning to flavor Almond Thins. They were just average. I decided it was not a great taste, and not worthy of the expense of the almond meal. Dashed were the dreams of the perfect replacement for chips. Even the new stone baking pan did not do the trick.

So what did I have to lose? This recipe only had flax meal and wheat bran plus some seasonings and water. I have had the same bag of wheat bran for well over a year, so what could it hurt? After the first batch was out of the microwave, I was disappointed. Still, that flavor that just has no appeal. But the texture was nice, so I decided to try another idea from the Bernstein board--a sweet version. For the first batch, I simply followed the forum idea and added in DaVinci syrup. I had English Toffee out from John's breakfast portein shake, so I tried that. Not bad. Not bad at all. I decided these little crackers could be it--especially with a little more flavoring. So, I tried a chocolate batch. Amazingly like chocolate graham crackers. At least from what I can remember; it has been a while since I tasted those. After a couple of batches of those, I had the technique down. Two different ways of baking, either on parchment paper or my new baking stone. These are sturdy, and would be awesome with some sweetened cream cheese dip, but they are good alone too.

The last ditch effort for a savory cracker is a winner. I added the popcorn flavoring and some chili seasonings to the batter. I like my little mock Doritos. Not exactly like the real thing, but incredibly easy to make. No heating of the oven or dragging out mixing bowls. These little treats will be awesome in lunch sacks and bento lunches this year. They would hold up to dip or spreads. I am even trying to figure out how to make a party mix for my hubby. He used to go through buckets of that stuff! I'll keep ya posted, or send me ideas for that.

Sweet Flax n Bran Crackers

1 Tablespoon flax meal
1 Tablespoon wheat bran
1 Tablespoon DaVinci sugarfree syrup, any flavor

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Choose one of the baking methods.
A. Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Fold the paper over and smooth the dough flat with your fingers. Open the paper and even up the edges. The dough should be about the size of graham cracker square, maybe a bit smaller. OR
B. Place the dough onto a baking stone. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the dough and smooth it out with your fingers.
Place the raw dough into the microwave oven and cook on high for one minute. Remove the crackers and score the dough with a pizza cutter or knife. Return to the oven and bake for another minute to one minute twenty seconds. Let cool and gently break apart the crackers. Makes 12-16 mini crackers. The whole recipe is about 1 net carb.


Chocolate Graham Flax n Bran Crackers

Follow directions above, using Vanilla syrup, and adding 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon water to the batter.


Almost Doritos Flax n Bran Crackers

1 Tablespoon flax meal
1 Tablespoon wheat bran
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon nacho cheese flavored popcorn seasoning
pinch of chili powder
pinch of cumin

Combine ingredients as cook as instructed above for the sweet crackers.


Play around with your favorite flavor combinations. You never know what will be the perfect one for your tastebuds. Since this makes one big cracker at a time, you don't waste many ingredients with the ones that are less than perfect. Once you find the perfect combo, you can always multiply the recipe to make a larger batch. Just don't overeat, of all that fiber might play a nasty trick on you.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Straight out into the kitchen to try these!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I am just new to flax crackers and I enjoyed reading about your attempts. What made them grow on me, was adding cheese: The first batch had ground flax seed, water, garlic powder and Parmesan Cheese (recipe at about.com). But being a southern girl, I'm going to try the next batch with butter and chedder chesse a la Cheese Straws.