companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Supreme Pizza Skillet



When you are craving the flavors of pizza, why even bother with crust? Is that really what sounds good when we have pizza? I know I love a Supreme style pizza--especially when it is a thin crust. I love the blend of olives and peppers, the onions and mushrooms, and of course, the meat toppings too. The thin crust lets the other flavors shine through. So why eat a crust at all when it is the toppings that make it great.

Tonight, I made a simple skillet pizza entree with no base at all. No oven to heat up, and no overdose on cheese. It was all the good things I love in Supreme pizza.


Supreme Pizza Skillet

1 small green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 small onion
4 ounces fresh mushrooms
1 sliced zucchini
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 1/2 cups Chicken Cubes or Minute sausage (or a combo of both)
2 ounces pepperoni
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese to taste
red pepper flakes to taste

Coat a non-stick skillet with olive oil. Chop vegetables and add them to the skillet in the order listed. Once vegetables are tender, add remaining ingredients. Sprinkle with cheese and pepper flakes to taste.


This is so good for pizza cravings. It is a little high in carbs with all those veggies, but I'd rather get my carbs there than with a real starch. Serves 3 at about 11 carbs, 2 at 15 carbs. My carbavore boys had theirs stirred into some ziti and cheese. Gotta admit, that looked good, but once I started eating, the pasta craving subsided.

Make this an all Italian night, and add a lemon Italian Ice for dessert. I use my Pampered Chef Ice shaver for those. Loads of flavor and almost no carb at all.

3 comments:

Erica said...

I recently made pizza with an egg "crust" - an omelet with eggs and herbs mixed in. Fabulous! We don't eat grains anymore and I really missed the pizza taste.

Lisa Marshall said...

This would be an awesome omelet filling. I have an egg sensitivity, though. The combo of peppers, onions and eggs give me a killer stomach ache. I do have Omelet Buffet nights sometimes. I just have to go really easy on the amount of egg I eat. My youngest son has inherited the sensitivity too. One egg with the addition cheese or meat only seems to be our limit. Such a bummer.

Erica said...

Oh, so sorry about the egg sensitivity. =( I am lucky I guess that they work well for me, but then again I don't eat any nuts or soy. We should definitely eat foods our bodies like to eat!