companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, September 18, 2009

Florentine Supper with Chunky Vegetable Salad with Pesto Dressing


My Humanities class is just finishing up a study on Florence. What could be better than a small celebration complete with that certain Italian flare? Currently, I am working on a spinach lasagna recipe that will use Minute Sausage. I made a version of this lasagna tonight, adding fresh spinach leaves to the layers. It is tasty, but still a little too watery. I plan to change a couple of things next time. So, I will post that recipe later when I see if my changes fix that problem. In the mean time, we all gobbled it up, watery or not! Feel free to experiment on your own.

For the salad, I modified my Chunky Vegetable Salad, but mixed up an incredible yummy Italian pesto dressing. Superb and so easy! I simply added some spoonfuls of pesto to the bottled Italian dressing already waiting in the fridge. It is good to have a change from the standard greens and ranch dressing. Here's a recipe for what we are eating tonight, but feel free to exchange veggies. With it being Friday, I am cleaning out the veggie drawer before my shopping day.

Chunky Pesto Salad

1/2 zucchini
1/4 cucumber
1/4 red onion
1 rib celery
1/2 small green bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded Jack cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
crushed red pepper to taste

Dressing:
1/8 cup Italian dressing
3 teaspoons pesto

Chop all vegetables and add to a serving bowl. Blend Italian dressing and pesto. Drizzle over salad and serve. Top with crushed red pepper if desired.


Pesto makes almost anything taste divine!

No comments: