companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pesto Pizza


I adore Pizza. I could eat it everyday! Tonight I made a pizza with some garden fresh basil and lemon balm pesto, some ripe tomatoes, and some leftover Minute Sausage. It is a gourmet taste for sure. I loved it more than the guys did, but I could never get them to try the specialty pizzas when we used to buy pizza out, either...

Walnut Pesto
1 cup fresh basil and lemon balm leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup walnuts
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3 teaspoons minced garlic

Blend all ingredients in a food processor and let flavors blend for an hour.


I made the pizza crust recipe which is located here. Love that crispy crust. I made them in my muffin top pan again. I ate two and now I am way too stuffed. I think I should have left it at a single and packed the other for lunch. Next time, I'll remember, but it was so good. It was hard to stop.

While the crusts were baking in the oven, I sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers, fresh tomato slices and a touch more garlic. When the crusts were ready to top, I spooned on the fresh pesto sauce. Then I added sausage, pepperoni (not on mine), cheese and the veggie mixture. It was a designer pizza for sure. I wish you could see the pesto sauce in the photo. It really makes the dish flavor wise. Because I sauteed the fresh tomatoes, they didn't water down the crust. The sauteed mushrooms also picked up that wonderful garlic taste. With recipes like this, I really don't miss fancy Italian restaurants--except for the service! Never had to do the dishes there.

1 comment:

Retta said...

Ever since seeing this delicious looking photo of a little pizza, I have been wanting one! Tonite I had one. Mmmmmm.

I used up stuff I had for the topping (chicken, ricotta, green onions, tomatoes, olives, spices, mozzarrelly).

And since I am always looking for ways to get more fiber, I made my chia-seed-skillet-cooked-pizza crust. It cooked while I got the toppings ready.

All assembled, I popped it into my FlavorWave oven...which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!

I am looking forward to a cooler day to fire up the oven and try YOUR crust.
Thanks,
Loretta