companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Grandma's Salad


When I was in college, my grandma used to send me potato salad to take back to school with me. I loved her unusual mixture of ingredients, and so did my room mates. The more we praised her, the more interesting things would find their way into the next batch. She tended to add what she had in the fridge. Somehow, it always turned out delicious--especially to "always looking for a hand out" college students!

This is very much like her old recipe. I have substituted cauliflower for the potatoes of course. But the addition of cheese, bell pepper, bacon--those are pure Hazel specialties! Other yummy additions would be olives, ham cubes, or grape tomato halves.I took this to our picnic last night. Because it was raining, we had a smallish turnout. We will finish off the leftovers with burgers today. My friend NeeCee took Maple's Meatballs, a recipe from the cookbook, and they were a huge hit! I think I saw more second and third helpings on those than an any other dish. I was full enough that I managed to stay clear of the brownies too. Our rainy picnic turned out to be quite fun. The kids loved playing in the rain.

Grandma's Salad

1 head cauliflower
1/2 red onion
1 rib celery
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1-2 hard boiled eggs
2 strips crumbled bacon
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 packet Splenda
2 Tablespoons sugar free sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon Bacon Salt

Steam the cauliflower and break it into bite sized pieces. Dice the vegetables and add to cauliflower. Chop the egg bacon and add them to the vegetables. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, relish and Splenda in a separate bowl. Pour dressing over vegetables and stir to coat. Sprinkle with Bacon Salt and chill.


This is a pretty good salad, even if you are not soaking wet!