companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Antipasto Salad


Oh how I wish I was better about measuring when I am experimenting in the kitchen. In salad, I have a real winner, but I failed to write down exact amounts. I think that is okay, though, because this is one of those "process" recipes that is very adaptable to what you have on hand.

My mom and I were checking out the new grocery store in town last week. They have an amazing gourmet salad bar, and a hot food line as well. I chose to make a fresh salad after we shopped, and my mom got the veggie plate from the hot food selection. Both were outstanding. They happened to be out of roasted asparagus, so they sauteed some up fresh for my mom. It must have been half a pound of asparagus when the proud chef placed it on her plate. (really did look like a chef anyway: white coat, hat and the works--in a grocery store no less) In addition to that, she had a delicious squash medley which I hope to duplicate later this week. She also had a marinated veggie salad. All that for $3.99. Pretty good deal, especially since her leftover asparagus went into this dish.

In my salad, I found an antipasto salad which looked to be low carb. It was wonderful, and I made up my mind to make my own. We shared it at lunch, trying to discern all the wonderful flavors. I asked for the recipe, bu the manager wouldn't share. I might have even got the chef in trouble for making a special order for us. That's too bad because good customer service is hard to find. Anyway, my salad was heavenly with the addition of fresh herbed mozzarella balls, nuts and more designer cheeses. I definitely need to pay more attention to our salads here at home. These spoiled me so!

Here is what I came up with as a copycat recipe. It is every bit as good-maybe better. Try it with your favorite veggies and cheeses. The dressing really makes it. It would could also be extended with some lettuce in tossed just before serving. Without that, it will keep in the fridge for a while. Either way would be tasty.


This is one of the recipes included in my new cookbook project, Low Carbing Among Friends.
This recipe is available in the book, along with over 60 additional 24/7 Low Carb Diner recipes. By ordering the book, you get more than 300 favorite gluten free recipes from four other well known low carb cooking experts…Jennifer Eloff of Splendid Low Carbing cookbook fame, Kent Altena, the Atkins Diet Geek and You Tube star, nutritionist and author Maria Emmerich of Maria’s Nutritious and Delicious Journal, and popular blogger and food stylist, Carolyn Ketchum of All Day I Dream About Food. Unlike any other cookbook you may own, this one is a compilation of mini cookbooks featuring the talents of these well known low carbers. Think of it as a “best of” project.
Low Carbing Among Friends also features recipes from numerous other talented low carbing friends and recommendations from the medical community who recognize the health benefits of low carb, gluten free living. To preorder your copy, visit http://www.amongfriends.us The official release date is 11/11/11, so pre-order now for a discount.


I have to admit I taste tested this all day yesterday. Then, when I was ready to blog about it, we lost our electricity. So you got it today. When the power went out, I was certainly glad dinner was in the crock pot already done. What a blessing to have turkey sausages and cabbage ready to go, so I didn't have to serve dinner from a dark kitchen, or risk opening and closing the fridge and losing the reserved cool air. Thankfully, with the summer heat, the power came back on just when we were contemplating an escape to a cooler place.

No comments: