companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, July 3, 2009

Beef Fajitas in Lettuce Rolls



I almost never order fajitas when we go out. It's not that I don't like them. I love them. It's not that they are bad for our way of eating. They fit great. It's more that I can't afford them. Amazing what some places charge for such a simple entree.

Fajita meat was included in the sale at the meat dock sale in June. This is the pre-marinated steak strips which is usually reserved for sale only to restaurants. They sold it to the public for just a buck and a half a pound. I did add a bit more lime juice and mesquite flavoring for some extra flavor, but that is it. Just toss some onion and pepper in with the beef on a sizzling hot cast iron skillet, and dinner practically serves itself. We ate ours in lettuce rolls, the carbies among us used tortillas with a smear of refried beans.

Later tonight, I plan to whip up some raspberry cheesecake filling to make dessert shots tomorrow for our Independence Day family dinner. Glad I don't have to heat up the kitchen for that one. My mom is planning a hot dog buffet of sorts. I have prepared several gourmet mustards to give us some variety. Here's a recipe for one you might want to try tomorrow--or anytime.


Smokey the Bear Mustard
1/4 cup brown mustard
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon mesquite flavored liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda or equivalent sweetener

Stir all ingredients together and let flavors set for a few hours.


Please include our country in your prayers, and do all you can to protect the freedoms we sometimes take for granted.

No comments: