companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Impossible Cake Bites


I saw this recipe on the Low Carb Friends board, and I didn't think it could be true. Chocolate cake with no flour, but black beans? It's a mystery, but it works! After some consideration, I took the plunge and purchased a can of black beans. True, these aren't extremely low carb, but they do have lots of fiber and nutrition. My whole family is amazed at how truly cakelike and super chocolatey these cake bites are. I used a combo of liquid sucralose and erythritol to avoid the chocolate complications you sometimes get with Splenda.

I had time to play around in the kitchen today because we were eating the ribs we prepped on Sunday for dinner. When I have the entree already covered, my boys tend to get more desserts or interesting side dishes. Today that resulted in a yummy three cheese broccoli casserole and these black bean cakes. Maybe I should take advantage of that free time to get some exercise instead of cooking. This chocolate treat could become a binge too easily. At least the bon bon size keeps me from devouring the entire cake at one sitting. I am having trouble even keeping my carby boys out of these too though. I doubt they will last long.

For a nice and easy frosting, I blended about 2 ounces of cream cheese with three very ripe strawberries and a bit of sweetener. I piped in on with that marvel of modern technology--the plastic sandwich bag. The silicon brownie pan I used makes these cute bon bons, or can also be a cake pop if you poke them with a lollipop stick and decorate the top side of the cake. I also baked some in a mini muffin pan so I wouldn't have to do so many batches in and out of the oven. From one recipe, I got 16 bon bons and 24 mini muffins. With that many servings, each one unfrosted has just 1.5 carbs a piece. But then, who can eat just one? Try these. They are amazing!

4 comments:

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Hi Lisa, Your latest baking experiments look yummy! :-) Thanks for visiting my blog.

lgpars said...

Lisa, I have searched Low Carb Friends for this recipe and cannot find it. Could you either post it or tell me how you found it? Thanks!!

Lisa Marshall said...

Just click on that link and it will take you to the recipe at Pcb.

lgpars said...

Thanks, Lisa, I must try these. Hard to believe it makes "cake". Ha! But anything can happen when you cook low-carb. LOL